<$BlogRSDUrl$>

4.20.2004

some records i look forward to re-visiting 

i brought my record player up to the living room from the basement yesterday. my records are weird... about half were formerly my dad's. i never really bought records (or-- for that matter-- understood vinyl-purists, you closet-capitalist snobs!!!). most of the records i've bought were cheap or from thrift stores. i make a lot of mix cd's (and tapes before that), and records always eliminate that option... anyway, here's a few i'm glad to include in my soundtrack to the approaching pleasant weather...

1. the acoustic side of neil young's rust never sleeps. you can't say "aurora borealis" without making me think of neil's "pocahontas," and you can't say "borealis" without making me think of this fine gentleman, who's show (which i can't watch cause of work) is apparently good again.

2. milt jackson, live at the museum of modern art, 1965: sounds like music that would be on sesame street. in a good way. in a way that makes me have a deeper respect for sesame street.

3. bob dylan, blood on the tracks: i haven't really spent enough time with this record, but everyone raves about it so it's getting busted out.

4. my self-titled thelonious monk record: just a basic collection. has "ruby, my dear" and stuff like that. listening to monk is like having a great meal that doesn't leave you too full afterwards, but not hungry either. i asscociate this record with spring.

5. my dad's weird-ass santo and johnny record. great strange music. click on the link and you'll hear their most famous song. i am filled with bewilderment at the thought of my dad buying this, or even wanting this. cool as my parents are, they aren't particularly bo-ho or whatever. in any case, i'm glad something prompted him to pick this one up.

6. charlie haden, liberation music orchestra: weird, perhaps underrated. does anybody know whether or not it's worth it to check out solo carla bley stuff??? i always snoop by her in the record store.

7. the rolling stones, between the buttons: because she smiled sweetly/ and said "don't worry"/ oh no no no

all of this, of course, says nothing of my roommate's far more extensive record collection-- also in the living room-- featuring a 7" by huggy bear that i never had (i think i heard it, though, but maybe not), among other treasures.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?