<$BlogRSDUrl$>

4.13.2004

the inevitable bush speech post 

while it is true that there are better things i could be doing right now, i just read this article on the NYtimes website a moment ago, assessing the president's speech tonight. conferences of this sort are always most interesting in their awkward moments, and it is unfortunate to see the level to which the times glossed over a big one. here's the quote from the article:

"I don't want to sound like I've made no mistakes; I'm confident I have," he said, but added, "Maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one."

to read the article, one would assume that this quote is a response to a question about the president's handling of iraq. it's not. he's responding to one of the more interesting questions of the night-- a follow-up question to one he was asked on the campaign trail prior to his election. the question was, in essence, "what do you see as your greatest mistake??" the reporter even mentioned that bush's original (lighthearted) answer was "trading sammy sosa." with 9/11 in the background, he had no answer this time. and the scene was rather squirmy.

personally, to put my cards on the table, i'm less concerned with "what could have been done" in regards to 9/11-- or bush's hand in it, even-- than i am with accuracy and manipulation in reporting. so i thought it was worth pointing out. to my audience of, like, 5 or whatever. hahaha.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?