<$BlogRSDUrl$>

11.22.2003

walking with headphones 

i got a functional walkman about six months ago, and i swear it's changed the quality of my life. tonight i went across town on foot to return movies, deliberately taking an atypical path and listening to my walkman for most of the way. perhaps it's just my cinematic nature, but it's funny how something that simple can transform mundane bullshit. it could just be these great mixes from olivia (and the understated intimacy crucial to a good mix cd), but it made my night an awful lot better.

two summers ago, i spent three months at an artist's residency in rural maine. i used to paint in my studio until it was very late, and occasionally i'd listen to music on my way home. it's amazing how vulnerable you become with headphones on and a flashlight in your hand in the middle of the woods (more or less). i thought of this tonight, and of all the sounds i take for granted, and of the great luxury of blocking certain sounds out to let better ones in.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?